Spain Advice & FAQs

Can vehicle ownership be transferred online?

Yes, with our online car ownership transfer service. We will complete all the forms, pay taxes and usually change name the same day. We will have your new permiso de circulacion (log book) back in a week.

How much does it cost to change car ownership in Spain?

To transfer car ownership in Spain, the cost typically includes a Trafico fee of €55.70 (€27.85 for mopeds) and a transfer tax of 4-8% of the official/fiscal value of the vehicle, depending on the region and the type and size of the engine. In addition to these fees, there may be a gestor fee if you use the services of a professional.

The process can also be done online by Simple English Advice for a fee of €60, plus the official fees and taxes. It’s important to note that the transfer tax is nothing to do with the sale price of the vehicle. The exact cost may vary depending on the specific circumstances and the region in Spain where the transfer takes place.

How long does it take to transfer a car in Spain?

We can change ownership (transferencia o cambio de titularidad del vehículo) the same day (occasionally the next day). You will receive a provisional permiso de circulacion (log book) to prove car ownership change. After a week the new permiso de circulacion will arrive.

What documents are needed to transfer vehicle ownership in Spain?

To transfer vehicle ownership in Spain, the following documents are typically required:

1. Proof of identity for both parties
2. Proof of address for the buyer
3. Vehicle documentation, including the Permiso de Circulación (Logbook) and Ficha Técnica (Specification sheet)
4. Proof of previous years road tax paid

What are the benefits of hiring a gestor to process a car ownership change?

Hiring a Gestor to transfer car ownership in Spain can have several benefits, including:

1. Convenience: The Gestor can handle all the paperwork and processes on your behalf, saving you time and effort.
2. Expertise: Gestors are familiar with the local bureaucracy and requirements, which can help ensure a smooth transfer process.
3. Language: If you are not fluent in Spanish, a Gestor can assist with the language barrier and ensure that you understand the process and documentation.
4. Temporary Ownership Document: The Gestor can provide a temporary ownership document to carry until the new one is obtained from Trafico, providing peace of mind during the transition period.

However, it’s important to note that using a Gestor’s services can be relatively expensive, and the process can also be done independently, especially if you are familiar with the local requirements and procedures.

Is it worth getting a car report done before buying a car?

It is highly advisable to get a car report (informe del vehiculo) done before purchasing a car. In Spain there are many issues that could prevent you from transferring the car into your name or cause problems after the sale. These include the car is de-registered (baja). The car isn’t registered to the seller. The car is financed and so can’t be transferred. The car has fines or embargoes. The IVTM (road tax) hasn’t been paid for the previous year.

These reasons make it crucial to get a report done before purchasing a used car in Spain. You are taking a huge gamble if you don’t. You can get a detailed report from the DGT website for €8.67 or use our Car Report Service for €15.

What is involved in importing a EU registered car into Spain?

To import a car from an EU country into Spain, several steps and requirements need to be fulfilled. Here is an overview of the process based on the search results:

1. Technical Inspection: A certified mechanic in Spain will conduct a technical inspection of the vehicle, including checks on the exterior, chassis, suspension, brakes, and tires. The car will receive a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) from the manufacturer, which is required for all imported cars.

2. Taxes and Fees: The process may involve taxes, customs duty, and registration fees. Import taxes and Value Added Tax (VAT) may be payable on imported vehicles. A registration tax is also due on imported vehicles.

3. Registration: The vehicle must be registered with the Directorate General for Traffic (Dirección General de Tráfico) in Spain. This involves obtaining the Spanish format ITV Card, paying taxes, and submitting the necessary documentation, including the vehicle’s original documentation from the country of origin.

4. Other Requirements: Depending on the specific circumstances, additional requirements such as proof of payment of VAT, vehicle purchase receipt, and vehicle roadworthiness test may apply.

5. Timeframe: The process of vehicle registration in Spain can take up to six weeks, although it can also be done at the border if necessary.

It’s important to note that the specific steps and requirements may vary based on factors such as whether the vehicle is new or used, and the country of origin. Additionally, seeking the assistance of a company specializing in vehicle importation services can help navigate the complex procedures involved.

In summary, importing a car from an EU country into Spain involves a technical inspection, payment of taxes and fees, vehicle registration, and compliance with various documentation requirements. The process can be complex, and seeking professional assistance is advisable, especially given the potential variations based on individual circumstances.

What is required to get residency in Spain?

To obtain residency in Spain, there are several options with different requirements. One common way is to apply for a non-lucrative residence visa, which requires having a minimum annual income and private or public health insurance.

Another option is to obtain a temporary or long-term residence permit, which typically requires living in the country for a certain period, proving a steady income, and having health insurance. After living in Spain for five years, individuals can apply for permanent residency. The specific requirements may vary depending on the type of residency and the applicant’s circumstances.

What are the economic requirements for obtaining a non-lucrative residence visa in Spain?

To obtain a non-lucrative residence visa in Spain, applicants must prove that they have sufficient financial means to support themselves. The minimum annual amount required is 400% of the IPREM (Public Income Indicator for Multiple Effects), which for 2023 is €28,800. For each dependent (spouse, children, or ascending relative), an additional 100% of the IPREM must be added annually, which equals €7,200 for 2023. This financial means can be proven by presenting checking, savings, and/or investment accounts’ three most recent monthly statements, or a retirement benefits plan.

What are the other requirements for obtaining a non-lucrative residence visa in Spain?

In addition to the financial requirements, obtaining a non-lucrative residence visa in Spain also requires applicants to fulfil other conditions. These include:

1. Private Medical Insurance: Applicants need to have private medical insurance that provides full coverage in Spain.

2. Clean Criminal Record: A clean criminal record certificate from the country of origin or from any country where the applicant has resided for the past five years is required.

3. Medical Certificate: A medical certificate stating that the applicant does not suffer from any of the diseases that can have serious public health repercussions in accordance with the International Health Regulations of 2005.

4. Proof of Accommodation: Applicants must provide proof of accommodation in Spain, such as a rental agreement or property deeds.

5. Valid Passport: A valid passport with a minimum validity period of one year and two blank pages is necessary.

6. Visa Application: The application for the non-lucrative residence visa must be done at the Spanish consulate in the applicant’s country of origin or legal residency or once they have arrived in Spain.

7. Visa Fees: Applicants are required to pay the visa fees, which vary depending on their nationality.

Do you have an ITV (MOT) service in Malaga?

Yes, we can take care of the whole procedure from pick up to drop off. If the ITV is overdue then we can provide special plates and insurance.
If there is a problem we know a number of local honest and reliable mechanics. The cost for the ITV service is €40. 

Can I exchange a UK driving licence to a Spanish one?

Yes, UK driving licences can be exchanged for Spanish driving licences. An agreement was approved in March 2023, allowing individuals with a valid UK licence to obtain a Spanish licence without undergoing a practical or theory test, starting from 16th March 2023.

British driving licence holders who are residing in Spain can exchange their permit for a Spanish licence by fulfilling specific requirements, such as being a registered resident in Spain and not obtaining the licence while being a legal resident in Spain.

There was a six-month window for existing residents to make the exchange, and the deadline was 15th September 2023. After this period, it is still possible to exchange the licence without needing to take the Spanish driving test. See here for more details.

Can I apply for the Digital Nomad Visa in Spain?

To apply for the digital nomad visa in Spain, you will need to provide the following documents and meet the specified requirements:

Documents Required

1. National visa application form
2. Valid passport
3. Criminal record certificate
4. Proof of residence in the consular district
5. Proof of financial means
6. Documents related to social security, if applicable
7. Other relevant documents such as marriage or birth certificates for dependents.


1. Non-EU/EEA citizenship
2. Ability to work remotely
3. Self-employment or employment with a company outside Spain
4. Clear criminal record
5. Health insurance with full coverage in Spain
6. Undergraduate or postgraduate degree from a prestigious institution or at least 3 years of work experience in the current field of activity.

The visa is valid for up to one year and can be extended for a maximum of five years. The new Digital Nomad Visa is mainly aimed at non-EEA nationals (including the British) and Spanish citizens who have not resided in Spain for at least 5 years. It is for remote workers who are employed by a non-Spanish company operating outside of Spain. You can find more information here.

Scroll to Top

Before You Go

Sign up to our free newsletter for the latest information.
We will not pass your email on to 3rd parties or send you irrelevant information or spam.

DGT Full
Vehicle Check €15

(Includes €8.67 tasa)

Fill out the form below, and we will be in touch. Please note this service usually operates during working hours.